Sunday, April 26, 2009

Life is 4.4% Better


I like to consider myself a no-frills, easy-to-please, live-life-simply kind of girl. So, when our dishwasher stopped working a good five or six months ago I thought, "No big deal." I don't need a dishwasher to keep my house in order--I can do dishes by hand just like so many other people have done or currently do. And I did. Or rather we did, because Mark did more than his fair share of dishwashing. It's so nice to have a husband who is out of school. And of course one that is willing to stand next to me while we wash dishes together.


I was not convinced that having a dishwasher or not changed too much, but Mark was realizing that a good bulk of our evening time was spent bellied up to that sink, even when I did really well with keeping up with the daytime dishes.


Finally last week we got ourselves a super-cheap used dishwasher. If we had known you could get a working and non-ancient dishwasher for $40 we may not have waited so long to get one. And as much as I was in denial that having a dishwasher would change our lives significantly, it is true that it has.


At first I thought the percentage of improvement would have to be less than 1% because you know, there are a lot of things in life that are better than dishwashers. But then I estimated that we have an extra 45 minutes in our day--based on 17 waking hours that amounts to 4.4% more time. So 4.4% better, right? Apparently I've got to find strange ways to put my math skills to work nowadays.

2 comments:

Tanya Leigh said...

:) Dishwashers are really quite amazing. I need to remind myself of this as we lived 5/8 married years without one.

*and, considering Mark is only with you for what, 4-5 of those waking hours, that increases the percentage ... right?

Bekah Jennings said...

Yeah! Glad you have "extra" time.