Tuesday, April 27, 2010

We kind of went crazy this boy and I

But of course, I am the only one that can be blamed.  My visiting teacher brought by a dozen of those big, delicious cookies from Paradise Bakery today.  Just out of the blue she stopped and dropped them off, it was a very nice thing for her to do.  She mentioned that the lemon ones on the bottom of the bag were especially delicious.  I thanked her and she left and I was thinking how much my family would enjoy these cookies that I would not get to eat because like 98% of desserts and treats I am  certain there is some type of dairy in these: butter the most obvious.  But the thought of a delicious lemon cookie was more than I could take.  I pulled one out of the bag and stared at it.  I have been thinking that Owen might have grown out of his milk allergy and I gave him a cube of cheese and a couple bites of yogurt a couple of weeks ago and hadn't noticed any problems.  But then the ear infection came so I figured it was a bad time to test for a milk allergy.  He finished his antibiotics for the ear infection yesterday.  And man, I have been really missing sweets and baked goods.  All of that reasoning was enough to send me over the edge.  It felt like sinning, and I really enjoyed that lemon cookie.  I was in the mood of throwing caution to the wind so I declared to the boys that we were eating cookies and milk for lunch.  And while I was at it, I might as well test Owen directly.  I gave him a good serving of yogurt, enough I figured so I could be totally sure if he was allergic.  After he ate he promptly went to bed without a fuss.  He actuall slept a good two plus hours, the longest nap he's had in several days. 

I haven't noticed a reaction yet, and cross-my-fingers we may be over this dairy allergy.  Most babies do outgrow a dairy allergy, so fortunately Owen has too.  Tonight we had paninis for dinner.  I had pesto sauce on mine (contains parm cheese) with some big slices of monterey jack.  I haven't had cheese for seven months.  Oh how I have missed cheese.  We'll see how Owen sleeps tonight and in the next coule of days hopefully he doesn't have any eczema break outs.  There are so many things I look forward to eating!

{A hesitant hooray!}

Just to be clear, he doesn't get a severe reaction to dairy.  He use to get eczema, but hasn't lately when I've slipped and had dairy on accident.  Sometimes it seemed like it bothered his tummy, but never a terrible amount.  That's why it's been difficult to tell if he's still got a dairy issue.  And that's why I felt warranted in going so far with this allergy test.  I wanted to be sure.  Well, and those cookies of course, definitely played a part.

3 comments:

Bethany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bethany said...

I'm amazed at how much I can relate to this. The only way to see if they're over it is to TRY it out on them. Unfortunately, most of my trial have not been so uneventfull. And then I feel so guilty for putting them throught that again. I'm glad to hear (and crossing my fingers) that Owen is getting over it. What a huge blessing.

skishykids said...

I'm crossing my fingers too. That is great. You're a trooper.

I'm also glad to hear that your allergic reaction with the Pineapple gelato is going down as well. I hope it continues. Great story, I can relate with a tearful reaction as well.:)

Tamara