Thursday, August 21, 2008

S is for Smoothie

One of the cool things about being out on my own, married, and in control of my own life is being able to realize some of my childhood dreams about what I wanted my home to be like when I "grew up." And in spite of what strangers think when they see my scrawny frame pushing two kids in a shopping cart at Wal-Mart, yes, I am grown-up, and yes they are BOTH my children. Sometimes as a kid I would think about what life would be like when I could stock my own kitchen and be completely in charge of what foods were in it. I imagined a salsa garden in my backyard, citrus trees aplenty, a winter of fresh-squeezed juice and a summer of smoothies--right there besides my awesome husband and lots of boys who get dirty--it was a vision of Heaven on Earth for sure. I am getting closer to realizing that utopia, with a great husband and two cute and dirty boys, and although we buy instead of grow our own fruit and veggies for now, smoothies are often found in contented little tummies around here. This week I bought a bunch of fruit for great prices, cut them up and froze them. Seeing the bags of frozen fruit in my freezer makes me happy. (In case you need a tip, freeze the cut fruit on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper, once frozen, transfer to freezer bags.) And of course every little person loves a good smoothie.

Here is a rough recipe of today's creation:
1 cup apple juice
1/2 or more cup vanilla yogurt
handful each: frozen peaches, mangoes, pineapple
Tablespoon O.J. concentrate

Blend together and add more apple juice or water till it blends easily. I love berries but today I felt like breaking the mold and making a smoothie without them--I'm glad I did, it was sure tasty and refreshing.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Marily, you are such a good commenter. I'm a bad blogging friend because I hardly leave comments. Sorry. You make me want to be a better mom. I do the smoothies, but I need to make better ones. Sometimes I try just milk and frozen strawberries, but my girls don't enjoy those as much. I wonder why? One thing I missed the boat on so far this summer is getting fruits for cheap and freezing them. I guess that would have to be a goal for next week.

McHalffeys said...

I'd love some of your other recipes. I love smoothies but get caught up in the same old rut of strawberries and bananas... I bet pineapple would be a great addition. Have you ever tried any kind of pina colada flavor?