Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day 2010

Tonight as the boys were getting ready for bed Dallin came and found me to give me a hug and ask me, "How was your happy Mother's Day?"  I told him it was a great day.  Then I grabbed his hand and we walked into the front yard and laid down on the grass to look at the stars for a minute.  Adam and Mark came and joined us then we corralled back inside for the rest of getting ready for bed. 

I was spoiled today.  I got 4 cards from 2 boys, jewelry from the husband.  Actually as I was unwrapping the gift Adam says, "It's a necklace."  And Dallin adds, "Prettier than your other necklaces."  I got massaged, hugged, kissed, and smiled and excited-arm- waved at from the baby.  Dallin and Adam were really sweet today, with a few spontaneous "I love you's" mixed at random throughout the day.  Mark even made muffins the night before since we have early church and don't usually end up with lots of time for breakfast.  And I got a nap.  Sweet.  But most of all, I've got these guys:



Photobucket

I love being a mom.  Yes, I get frustrated and am impatient and short-tempered, but those feelings can always be put in perspective by the absolute joyousness of motherhood.  It's an incredible thing to watch a little person learn something new or experience something for the first time that you don't think twice about.  Children have a way of opening our eyes to the awesomeness that is all around us.  And that feeling of love you have for your child, what's more amazing than that?

As a mom I have some things that I am proud of and other things that I need to improve on.  Sometimes I can be a control-freak for instance (but you knew that, right).  I need to learn to keep my cool and not get so frazzled when my kids aren't doing what I told them to do because I told them to do it for crying out loud.  I need to learn to diffuse conflict better.  I pray for help in being more calm.

But still I can look around my home and at my children and take pride in who I am as a mother.  My kids know that I love them--I am sure of that.  They get home-cooked meals and book-readings and hugs and kisses and a song and back tickle or massage (per request at bedtime) daily.  They get cooking lessons and craft activities and games like Chutes and Ladders or Hide and Seek with mom from time to time and lots of time to play and be kids.  They get lessons in putting laundry away and cleaning windows and being strong helpers by taking groceries in from the car.  They know that going to church and reading scriptures and praying are important parts of my life. 

We're quite happy thank you.  And a shout out to Mark the dad who makes us all complete.

No comments: