Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

We have had such a beautiful day. This morning Adam woke up at 6am, and Mark got up with him. I slept for an extra 15 minutes until the alarm went off, went into the family room and saw this sweet sight on the couch: Adam heard my camera zoom in and with his eyes half open and still basically asleep he said, "chee!"
He then closed his eyes and went back to sleep. But, soon I had to wake them because we were leaving for the cemetery. My mom's side of the family, the Skousens, get together every Memorial Day at the Mesa cemetery to clean the gravestones and pay tribute to our ancestors, now including my grandfather who passed away a few years ago.
The Skousen family around Great Grandma and Grandpa Peel's headstone

Dallin had fun "driving" through the cemetery from one headstone to the nextAnd, here's the four of us:After the cemetery we went to my aunt and uncle's house for breakfast and Mark and I played tag with the kids. We went home and spent the next couple of hours doing yard work. I took Adam to get his stitches removed--YEAH! Looks like he's healing all right. Mark finally got his hair cut, we had family home evening, went to the park, and had popsicles.

You know what the best part of the day was? This was the first day off that I can remember for almost three years that Mark didn't have homework to do. He's not completely done with school, but he happens to be taking a pretty easy course right now and doesn't have as much to do. By mid July he will be done!! What a treat it was to have my husband with me for the day and be able to get things done around the house like normal people do! Hopefully July comes quickly....

It being Memorial Day it is important to pay tribute to those serving in our military, particularly those that died from their service. I hope I remember the blessings that I have and, more importantly, remember that some of the greatest blessings of my life, including my freedom, was a gift given to me. Others have done the sacrificing and dying in my place so I could live and raise my children freely in this land. I LOVE AMERICA!!





2 comments:

Tanya Leigh said...

What a great way to spend Memorial Day morning! Hmmm, I will have to look into starting our own family tradition like that in the future :) I always wonder what I could do to make the day as meaningful as it ought to be. (Those pics on the couch are so sweet!)

Anonymous said...

Marily, I'm always so impressed with the way you express yourself in your writing, and the beautiful insights you share with the rest of us. I'm always so proud to be your mother, especially when I see what a beautiful woman, devoted wife, and loving mother you have become.