Wednesday, January 21, 2009

On Becoming SuperMom




A girl can dream can't she?

Maybe you are hoping that this is where I spill everything, admit that I'm in way over my head, throw in the towel, give up on becoming SuperMom, or [insert your own cliche here]. Because I might be doing the same thing if I were in your shoes. It's good to know we are all human right? And no, I don't exactly want to be judged against the "SuperMom" ideal. Because that would be disappointing time and time again. But still, we have to have an ideal, don't we?

So I'm not giving up that easily. Here's the good and the bad about my idealistic routine I have been working under (towards?) for the last 64 hours:

THE GOOD:


  • I have had a good 15-30 minute scripture study at the start of each beautiful morning for the last three days. Go me.


  • I have played with my children more. Seems silly but put it on the schedule and it's more likely to get done. Go me.


  • I have gone to sleep at about 10 o'clock for the last three nights. When was the last time this happened? My guess is that I might have been 14 years old. Go me.

THE BAD:


  • Dallin seems to know Mom is up early, so he is up early too. Kind of goes against the main point--having some time to myself, but hey, at least he'll quietly read books next to me in my bed while I read my scriptures. It's kind of endearing, really.


  • 6am comes early. I don't usually do well without a full-night's sleep and with being pregnant 8 hours isn't enough. Maybe I'm a weakling. I haven't managed to get up in the morning without a hitting a couple of snoozes yet. And, I am ashamed to admit that SuperMom definitely wouldn't have sent the kids to play on the computer for a good hour so she could go back to bed for a while this morning.

Do you know why I am doing this for a week? Really it's because in my mind I know that I need some type of a routine, even if it's fairly flexible. There are things that I really want to do that I just don't get around to. I have to have it on a list. And it's better to stick to the same list (a routine) than make up a new one all the time. In the past I've thought over and over again about going to bed and waking up earlier but always dismissed the thought with excuses. Finally I thought, "Enough is enough!" Maybe a routine and going to bed early isn't going to work, but I can AT LEAST give it a try! After a week some habits may stay and others may go, but....


No more excuses.


I can do hard things.



I can be SuperMom. Just give me some time to work on it.


Sidenotes: Yes, I am doing my best with Flylady. She has some great tips though she sends LOTS of emails. I love having a morning and evening routine and certain jobs to do each day of the week. Did you know that you can get more done if you wear lace-up shoes every day? I thought it was a ridiculous idea, especially living in the desert, but I have been doing it for a good 2 years now and don't know how I ever got anything done barefoot before.

6 comments:

Bekah Jennings said...

I think what you are doing is great! You inspired me to write out my routines again, and it has gone really well. I don't get up as early as you though--7:10 is my goal, and I still don't usually make it out until 7:25. I love wearing lace-up shoes. Did I ever tell you I gave birth to Avery wearing my lace-up shoes? I plan to do it again in about 3 weeks! Let's hang out--I will call you.

K said...

I've been a schedule person for as long as I can remember... my earliest memories include a schedule. Furthermore, I have this single spaced word document that is about 3 pages long that details "the perfect me". I totally have it in my heart that I am going to be there someday. So whenever I get those looks in Walmart like, "Oh, lady. Seriously. You are SO needing help." I think to myself, "you just watch and see. Someday you won't even recognize me."

You are doing great. Try Try Try and Try some more. Thanks for "letting your light shine." My favorite people are people who are willing to go for the gold.

Tanya Leigh said...

GO YOU! I would like a draft of your routine! I agree. 8 hours is NOT enough, pregnant. 10, at least. I find myself wishing I could just sleep the day away... not too good for the productive goals, though.

The Allen's said...

you inspired me too and the last three days i have gotten up at 7:30 when Spencer leaves for school which lets be honest is a super big deal for me. I had the carpet guy come last friday and my house has been clean since then but the get up and get ready thing makes such a difference in my day. it is pretty embarrassing when you even feel too trashy for walmart.: ) i am hoping I can keep it up and that i am not just being strong for a minute cause i love the way i feel about myself and my kids and that if at any time i can go somewhere cause I am ready for the day and so are they. anyways, thanks for the inspiration. Good luck to us all. love you tons.

Mom's da Bomb! said...

That little statuette is so CUTE! She looks a lot like you, and also, I noticed that she is wearing an "M" for Marily!

Jennie said...

That's so funny that you started doing this! I too, have been feeling this way, that I needed to go to bed earlier and wake up early and have a routine for the day....and scheduling in time with the kids. :)

I started on Monday and hoping this will stick. I agree, you need more sleep preggers. I always needed a min of 9 hours.

I'm so proud of you! And congrats on being pregnant, I can't remember if I already told you that or not.