Thursday, January 1, 2009

Places I'd Prefer Did Not Go Out of Business

There are not many places that I actually enjoy shopping at. Here is a short list of some places that I do like, and if it encourages you to support them with your dollars--great--because with all the companies going under and/or stores closing, I'd be really sad to see these places go.


Why I shop at Fresh and Easy:

1. It is by far the most kid-friendly grocery store around. (Unless you go to a Bashas' with a childcare, but there is not one of those near me).

2. There are always snacks (samples) to keep little--and big--tummies happy.

3. It is a small store, quick to shop at and parking is always close. They even have reserved spaces for adults with children. Swoon.

4. I feel like I can trust pretty much anthing I buy at this store. I have tried a lot of things there that I would have overlooked at a larger grocery store. I even buy some frozen meals there which I pretty much NEVER get at other grocery stores.
Some of my favorites at Fresh and Easy are:
  • Italian Sausage Ravioli--Keep one (or two depending on the size of your family) in your freezer. I think it's like $3. Top with a jar of marinara for a last-minute meal.

  • Granola--Good granola is hard to find, especially at a reasonable price. About $3 a pound.

  • 1/2 off stuff--When food is getting close to its sell-by date it is marked half off. I am always on the lookout for these items when I go. Recently I got a quart of fresh-squeezed orange juice that was heavenly for $2.50

5. They send out plenty of coupons.



Why we go to Chick-fil-A

1. Because it has a play area and it's NOT McDonalds.

2. Because it's the only place with a play area that somehow doesn't feel quite so like fast food.

3. Their lemonade is awesome.

4. They actually use real pieces of chicken (not processed)--wow, how about that?

5. Cookies and cream milkshakes. Mmmmmmmm. Mark's favorite dessert.
6. I think having a play area deserves another mention.
Located on the north side of University between Gilbert and Stapley in Mesa.


Why I go to Crismon's

1. Not because it's kid-friendly. My kids go crazy there and I always wish I hadn't brought them.

2. But, they do have great prices on kids' dress clothes. Though I've only browsed the right side of the store (the boys section). I got Dallin a four-piece outfit--pants, shirt, tie, vest for $20 and Adam a five-piece suit for $25. And they actually have a great selection, unlike department stores. Also they have baby blessing and Christening outfits (lots of them). They also have bedding, furniture, and accessories though I haven't actually purchased these items from there.

3. It's a good place to get gift cards for baby showers.

So here is my short list, what are some places you are crazy about?

7 comments:

Mom's da Bomb! said...

Those are some great places, but at the top of my list would be Superstition Ranch Market. Great fruit and vegies (and lots of other stuff) at fabulous prices. They are always cheaper than the grocery stores. I always save more than 50% over prices elsewhere - even sale prices.

Yes, you have to compete with the "Snowbirds" when you go, but SRM cashiers are masters at quick checkout, and you can get even BETTER deals on some items. Just check the mark-down cart in the back.

Holly Janeen said...

howdy :)
just wanted you to know i stopped by your blog... way cute :)
happy new year!

Carolyn said...

We love Chik Fil A too, but I haven't been to the others. I will have to check out Fresh and Easy. These days I do most of my shoppiong at Frys because they seem to have the best sales--I am sure you probably remember that my children eat like teenagers already so it's all about getting the most bang for our buck and trying to keep it somewhat healthy.

Carolyn said...

We love Chik Fil A too, but I haven't been to the others. I will have to check out Fresh and Easy. These days I do most of my shoppiong at Frys because they seem to have the best sales--I am sure you probably remember that my children eat like teenagers already so it's all about getting the most bang for our buck and trying to keep it somewhat healthy.

Carrie Brown said...

I love Fresh and Easy...mostly because of their $5 off that Albertson's accepts! But I do like Fresh and Easy's 50% stuff. They do have great deals sometimes. I agree with Mom's da Bomb! Superstition Rach Market is probably my favorite place in the world. Love your blog!

Hannah said...

Here is a little F&E secret I will share with you and your readers... Check with your store and see when they stock the today's specials shelves (mine is at 9:30pm) You can get TONS of stuff that was full price 5 minutes before at 1/2 off. And bring your coupons. I can walk away with $180 in groceries for $72 Whoo Hoo!

Bethany said...

I love Once Upon A Child, the second-hand kids store. I was there today and spent $20. For Daniel I got 2 pairs of jeans,1pair of khakis pants, khaki shorts, 2 shirts, and a nice pair of sandals. For Heidi, I got 2 way cute onsies, and a pair of pants for when she's older. I always chech the dollar rack first. There are always great things for my kids to wear. They also have toys and gear, but we're in it for cheap clothes mostly.