Thursday, July 24, 2008

Dallin's First Talk in Primary

Dallin gave his first talk in primary last Sunday. In the past when he has participated in primary, giving a scripture or an article of faith, we have tried to teach him to memorize it or at least we go over it with him a few times so he gets the hang of what he is going to say. This last week came and went with both Mark and I being sick for most of the week. Sunday morning we still hadn't helped Dallin with a talk. The theme was about sharing the gospel with our friends. One of his favorite scripture stories is of Alma the Younger and the sons of Mosiah so we thought that would be a good story for him to talk about. We came up with a simplified version of the story, repeated it to Dallin a few times, then he came up with his own interpretation as seen in the video.

Mark and I happened to be substitutes for Dallin's sunbeams class that day and were sitting in the front row when Dallin went up. As you can see he had practiced with a microphone, but for some reason in front of the kids he basically covered his mouth over the mic and spoke his talk quickly and muffled--no one could understand him.

I stood up next to him and whispered, "Start over and speak slowly and loudly." He repeated,

"The (pause)

sons (pause)

of

MO-

SI-

AH"

by then everyone (or at least the teachers) understood that he was making a mockery of his instructions and burst into laughing. I asked Dallin to start over again and he did fine, still muffled, but at least not joking. Some peoples' kids. Can't even take church speaking assignments seriously.

5 comments:

Mom's da Bomb! said...

Just so you know, Marily, when I was over the other day and you left to go get the hutch, Dallin informed me, "I gave a talk in church." I asked him what it was about, and he totally repeated the whole story, correctly, and loudly enough that I could understand it - perfectly! It was awesome! Scary having kids that are so smart! Good luck keeping up with him as he gets older. ;-}

Kathryn said...

Marily I'm impressed - he has a favorite scripture story and knows it by heart. The other day our Home Teacher asked us if the girls knew who the prophet was. Well, we talk about prophets, but they don't recognize the prophet from any other "dad" or "bampa". I need to take your lead and do better so that maybe when they get to be in Sunbeams they can have a favorite scripture story and prophet. Good job.

Marily said...

Yes, but Kathryn, there is big difference between almost four and just barely two. We probably just started scriptures stories with Dallin this year, and he still calls various guys in suits and ties, "Prophets!"

Steph said...

SO CUTE!!! I love it! He soundss like he's got a great sense of humor!

grandma kathleen said...

Marily, I'm just bouncing in on your blog from Kathryn's blog. I thought, you two were so close for so long, I wonder what Marily is up to. Well, it looks to me like you are doing great things! What a wonderful little family, and they are being taught the gospel so well! Thanks for letting me see how good you are doing.