Thursday, July 17, 2008

Of chips and salsa...

If you know me at all, you know that I am salsa-lover. I still remember going to a slumber party at a friends' house in high school and spending pretty much my entire evening at the table, bellied up to the chips and salsa, sometimes with a friend next to me, sometimes all to my lonesome self. At that time in my life it might have been homemade, it might have been--it shames me to admit it--Pace picante sauce. But as the years have gone by I could be what some might call a "salsa snob." Don't even think of bringing a bottle of Pace, or El Paso, or any of those others into my home. It defies everything that we have tried so hard to achieve in our family.

Today I have been thinking about this love of mine. I decided to put down for posterity my three main choices for salsa in three different levels of difficulty:

Just open the can: The only store-bought salsa I enjoy these days is, can you believe it:

Yeah, and it's only about 50 or 60 cents a can. Nice, small quantity. Best served cold with really good chips (that's an entirely separate post). I do not enjoy this salsa as much with anything less than restaurant-style tortilla chips. It just doesn't do it for me with regular chips. Only buy if you can handle spicy.

Open-the-can-plus: The second-easiest salsa ever I got from a lady in our previous ward who brought it to a ward party. Mark and I thought it was regular homemade salsa. Tricky woman.

  • 1 can Ro-Tel regular or mild tomatoes and green chiles
  • 1 can Ro-tel Mexican Fiesta tomatoes
  • Fresh cilantro to taste
  • salt and pepper to taste

So, drain your tomatoes (one or both cans) and add to a blender. Break off a small handful of cilantro, throw it in, and get a little bit of salt and pepper in there to join the party. Blend to your heart's content. That's it. Really. The trick is in the fresh cilantro.

Warning: This one is also pretty spicy. You might be able to tame the heat by subbing some other brand of tomatoes w/ green chiles and then using a Ro-Tel Mexican Fiesta.

An Actual Recipe:

This, my friends, is Mark's and my favorite salsa recipe. Courtesy of a salsa recipe book that my friend Rebekah gave me that she bought in the BYU bookstore (what a great friend...)


Salsa for a Crowd (altered just a smidge)


3 cans (28 oz) stewed tomatoes

3 medium fresh tomatoes, diced

3 entire bunches green onions, chopped

1 (4 oz) can diced jalapenos (these aren't very spicy, but use less if you're whimpy)

2 cloves of garlic, pressed

1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped

1 (7 oz) can green chiles.

Combine. Makes 6 cups. Yum. And, unless I am making this for a true crowd, I usually make a third of it. I think giving Mark a jar of this salsa pretty much was what won him over six saucy years ago.

Hope I haven't wasted your time. Now, don't all go rushing out to the store at once.

6 comments:

Lachelle said...

Hmmm... we have tried LOTS of salsas as well, and our favorite by FAR is "El Sol" salsa. We think it's as close to homemade as you can get from the store. You can buy it in a huge container at Costco (look for a clear square container with the yellow lid) or a smaller version with different 'heat' (mild, medium, hot) in the refrigerated section at Walmart near the deli. This is made locally at a place in Chandler, and the family who makes it also owns a couple restaurants. I have to admit though, we have never tried the ones you recommend. Maybe we will have to do that :) Thanks for the info!

mishalee said...

I did not know this about you! Spanky is a bit of a salsa snob too. He requests we eat at Serrano's and then all he eats is chips and salsa...he's a cheap date. I'll have to make my homemade salsa for you and send it with him when he comes in...what 4, 5 more weeks??
Very informative post! Miss you guys!

Amanda, David and Iris Linae said...

I miss you and your salsa!! Yum yum. =(

mishalee said...

Hi Marily! I added some links to the veggie post you commented on....hope it helps! Love you!

McHalffeys said...

Thanks to you I am now also a salsa snob! Thanks for posting your Salsa for a Crowd recipe. I have been wanting that one! My favorite kind of salsa is fresh salsa and is actually more like pico de gallo. It is diced fresh tomatoes, chopped green onion, chopped jalepenos, chopped fresh cilantro, lots of salt, some garlic salt, and some white pepper. (I always use white pepper in my salsas of all sorts because it doesn't show and I like the flavor better). When making my fresh salsa (or any other salsa), I blend a tiny bit of the tomatoes with the jalepenos in the blender and add my seasonings to the blender too so that the flavor ends up spread throughout. It is good, good! Love ya!

Mom's da Bomb! said...

Yum!!! Even in the middle of the night, reading all about salsa made me want to head for the kitchen and the Herdez and My Nana's. Recently, my ward Relief Society had a Mexican Fiesta for the ladies' evening activity. Part of the evening's activities included a SALSA TASTING & COMPETITION. Talk about Heaven! I seriously don't remember what the food was (no we made our own burritos from this cooked meat mix), but the salsas were so varied, and yet all were totally delicious! Hard to imagine people ever living without it. Double Yum!!!