Tuesday, July 22, 2008

What do you think about vegetarianism?


All right folks, I might strike some nerves with this one. A post from my friend Misha got me thinking about vegetarianism and the amount of meat that I consume.

I've thought about this before and I have two general guidelines when it comes to cooking with meat:


  1. I don't use meat as the main course (except for special occasions)

  2. When meat isn't necessary for a dish, I try to leave it out

At our house we have "Meatless Mondays." At least one day out of the week we eat a meatless dinner. We are not into meat substitutes or anything too "vegetarian." I try to find meals that us meat-eaters would like. Oftentimes I go back to the good-ol Mexican food with beans or pasta with alfredo or marinara sauce--like I said, we don't get too weird.


But when I read these words in Doctrine and Covenants 89 they make me think that I am far from as Celestial as I will eventually need to be:


12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;

13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.

14 All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life....


Do you think that as a society we eat too much meat? I can't help but think that when I read the Word of Wisdom. What do you think?

7 comments:

K said...

Well, I love meat. It makes me feel powerful. And strong. And I am thankful for it.

Anonymous said...

Something to think about indeed. Hey I am so sorry for missing the petition signing. It is so amazing that you guys are doing that and I wish I had it more together to make it. Keep up the good work.

Bret said...

Ooh, great topic. I think you guys have it right on. People shouldn't go crazy and exclude all meat, but as a society I think we eat way too much meat. I personally love to eat meat and need to "become more Celestial" as you guys are striving to do.

Carolyn said...

I DO love a good steak every once in a while, but I also enjoy leaving meat out at home whenever I can--not so much for moral reasons, but because it is just easier to cook with out it! No raw gross stuff to handle!

Our Paper Plates said...

Hi Smith family! I found your blog from Lachelle's blog. I hope you dont mind if I pop in every once in a while to see how you are doing :)

As for the meat, I served a mission in Argentina and all they eat if beef (lots of cows!). However, they are all relative slim, healthy people. I believe the problem in our country is portions! I feel moderation is the key.

McHalffeys said...

Although I can really pack away a good steak, I agree with you and I have discussed this with Bart. I don't believe in excluding meat altogether but it is wrong to gorge on it, I feel. The "meat-givers" are God's living creations and it is wrong to abuse them or use them in way that is not in concordance with God's plan. Meat is necessary but should be used in moderation. Good subject...

Anonymous said...

Last year I bought a cookbook called Two Sisters Cookbook . . something . . and all the recipes use vegetables, no meat. It has some good stuff. You should read the blog www.enlightenedhomemaker.blogspot.com She has some great ideas for cutting MSG and other junk from your diet.