Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Lesson in Self Discipline

I have issues with self control. I am certain that I am a person who is predisposed to be an alcoholic or a drug-addict or an over-zealous-ten-cups-of-coffee-a-day addict. Fortunately, as a committed Mormon I have never tried any of these things. But I do seem to have an addictive personality--I can get addicted to all sorts of things that do nothing even to chemically alter my body. Like the Internet. Goodness. As soon as I get up and enter the common areas of our home I feel the pull of the computer. I have trained myself to not turn it on until after I have completed my morning routine which, when done perfectly, includes:
  • Getting dressed and presentable

  • Eating and feeding others breakfast

  • Starting a load of laundry

  • Emptying the clean dishes out of the dishwasher

  • Getting the little guys into some clothing

  • Making a to-do list for the day
So, I've been doing this for a few months now, disciplining myself to finish these tasks before I turn the computer on so I can check my email, check your blogs, and then move on with my day (in theory). But it's time to kick it up a notch. I really do spend too much time in front of this screen so I made some new rules. And I must admit, this is a big change from me, although no one else would really know that....

  1. The computer cannot be turned on until NAPTIME--that's about 1-ish in the afternoon
Okay, yeah, just one rule....Is that okay? That's enough for now, I think.

Actually, if the boys were awake it would probably be better for the "this more often" to include them. But although it's more important to hold my children than it is to hold plastic kid-safe dishes, kid-safe dishes will have to do for now. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

jeremyandcariss said...

i never thought of this as a hereditary thing but i have the same addictive personality!!! let's blame our dads for passing that on!!! of course you will note the time i post this is most definately not nap time, but i have already washed 2 loads of laundry, cleaned the guest room and organized the linen closet. and believe it or not there are some days i don't even check my email (gasp!)! the rules for computer time apply to me as well-i need to do better but lets not let that stand in our way of keeping eachother entertained with our blogs okay!? love ya!

Carolyn said...

This is off topic--but you look really pretty in that second picture--and so domestic too! Anyway, it is hard at times to stay away from the computre--I try to limit myself to only check blogs on certain days--luckily the news has been so depressing lately that I haven't been too tempted on that one, but it is definitely something we have to make sure to do in "moderation." Thanks for the reminder!

simplyshye said...

You are WAY tooo cute !! I Love YOU !! This idea is a good one ;-)
Can't wait to see you tues -- hope your going ! love lots -shye