Friday, October 31, 2008

A Lesson from NieNie

Just like many of you, I have been parusing the NieNie Dialogues. One thing that has really stood out is how many pictures Stephanie (NieNie) has of herself--her alone, with her kids, with her husband, and on and on. At first I thought this was odd, and maybe even a little self-centered of her to take so many pictures of herself. Well, my opinion has definitely changed.

Currently NieNie is in the Maricopa County burn center where she is coming out of a two-month coma after a private plane crash. She defied death and her life now will never be the same. Doctors had to graft skin all over her body and face and she will likely undergo a hundred or more surgeries as she heals. She will never look the same again. A great (and long and emotional) write-up of the story is here. And if the unthinkable had happened and she had not survived, at the very least her precious children would have had many pictures to remember their beautiful mother. NieNie's story and her blog have inspired this question of me:

If something happened to me would my children have many pictures of their mother?

I have noticed that one missing element to many of our family's pictures is mom--it's me--I'm missing. My husband, my children, my future grandchildren deserve to have pictures of their wife, mother, or grandmother. And it's definitely not self-centered to make sure I include my children's mother in photos from time to time.

So I dare you, whoever you are--it's okay to take pictures of yourself. It was even kind of fun to try to figure out those timer settings that I've never tried before. :)

6 comments:

The Allen's said...

I agree. I wish I had more pictures of my mom. I really feel inspired by this woman too even though I don't know her. The things that she did and the way that she felt about her husband make me want to make memories and things to cherish also. Time is so short and I feel like she grasped the concept of making the best of it. p.s. I think you look like a hottie in your pic : )

Tanya Leigh said...

Yup. That is also something I learned from Nie Nie, and also, my friend, Beth (who probably got it from Nie, also ;).

I DID, actually, post a few self-portraits on my clean-up blog. It is a weird feeling to point the camera at yourself... but your reasons are so true.

:)

Mom's da Bomb! said...

I haven't been following the NieNie Dialogues, but I will be from now on. Thanks for letting us know about them. I knew about the accident, but hadn't kept up since.

I don't know if you are aware, Marily, that they are our relatives. Christian's grandmother, Luella Russell Nielson is the sister to your great-grandmother (Edna Russell Peel) Grandma Mary Skousen's mother. (Russell family)

DT Young Family said...

I love this post. So true. I too wish I had more pictures of my mother. Thank you for reminding me that I need to be taking more pictures of myself for my children. Thank you also for the link to that wonderful article. Reminded me of what is really important in life.

simplyshye said...

Thank you Marily ,,,
I always love to read your thoughts and you always have the best things to say ;-)
You look beautiful !!!
lots of love - shye

McHalffeys said...

Good post,

I need to do the same. I am a perpetual photographer but I almost never photograph myself or let my husband take over my camera (it's mine!, jk) The few pics I have I shun away for some reason. I will try to do better!