Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thankful Day 11: Books


I hope that advancements in technology never make the book-as-we-know-it obsolete. Perhaps in a number of years when everyone has switched to reading from their handheld electronic reader and bookstores have gone out of business you may find me in the corner of the antique store searching the shelves for actual tangible copies of books like Robinson Crusoe or Where the Red Fern Grows. It is an amazing thing to have knowledge via the internet at our fingertips. What a blessing it is that we can receive answers to our questions in a few clicks and (just the right) keywords. But it is another thing entirely to actually have that knowledge at our fingertips--flipping through the pages, dusting the crumbs from your snack out from where the pages come together (as best you can). Technology is great, and is most definitely something to be thankful for. But today I am thankful for that flexible way that a book feels in my hand.

1 comment:

Tanya Leigh said...

Ditto, ditto, ditto! I love books!! (Is that little reading nook back at the AMY? I haven't been there since September)