Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Thankful Day Twelve: Growing Up

Halloween 2007

I have recently noticed a bit of a change in my behavior. It has not all happened at once, but more like little bursts of insightfulness and epiphany built upon eachother over the last few years. I am growing up. And I know this because in some ways I have gotten back to my real self and in other ways I have found out who my real self really is. Here is one hypothetical way of illustrating someone going through different phases along the path to "growing up."
1. Enjoying the music that your peers listen to
2. Introducing your friends to new music that you know they will enjoy
3. Being confused because you finally realize that you don't even know what YOUR musical tastes really are aside from what your peers like
4. Enjoying the music that the guys you date listen to, and then in turn what your husband listens to.
5. Time goes by and you realize it's okay to have your own completely abnormal conglomeration of all of the above. You are now confident enough to listen to anything you want, maybe even High School Musical songs (just the good ones) and not be embarrassed if someone finds out. And maybe you know some of the dance moves too. Just hypothetically speaking, of course.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I LOVE HSM! Have you seen 3 yet? I am so happy that I have kids who were "beggin me" to go so that I didn't have to go by myself--I have a friend who came with me because she "wanted to be in with her granddaughter." Yeah.... sure...but I played along with her aliby and let her come. If you haven't seen it maybe we can go together--I would totally go again! I am so impressed by all the talent they have and I have always loved musicals--I think a lot more people like it than they are willing to admit--good for you!