Sunday, November 9, 2008

Thankful Day Nine: The Sabbath


Today is only halfway over, but we have had a beautiful Sabbath day so far. I did not think I would like switching church times to 1:30pm but it has been really lovely. We had a really nice morning, although we were up early, 6:00, and I tried my hardest to convince the boys that it was still night time. They didn't buy it. While we were eating breakfast Dallin noticed it was starting to get a little lighter outside so we went out front and scampered to the sidewalk to take notice of the sunrise. It was a bit chilly so we pointed out the colors we could see and how it was still mainly dark outside and we quickly ran back in. This ritual was repeated a good five or six more times every few minutes until Dallin was convinced that it wasn't going to be getting any brighter.


Later, we took a trip down to the Mesa LDS Temple, walked around the buildings, and checked out the great exhibits in the Visitor's Center. Those of you that have never been to the visitor's center or who haven't been in a while it's a welcoming place and very interesting for members of the LDS faith or those who simply come to learn more about what we believe. Currently there is a great presentation about families, a model of Old Jerusalem in the time of Christ, and an art exhibit depicting stories from the Book of Mormon among other things.


Soon we will attend our church meetings. I am grateful for the Sabbath-- a day set apart from the rest of my week to reflect on Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and how I am fulfilling my duty here on this earth. We humans are short-sighted beings. I need this weekly reminder of what the purpose of life really is. It helps to keep me grounded, focused, and gives me a foundation for choosing how to spend the rest of my time.

1 comment:

Mom's da Bomb! said...

I'm grateful for, and proud of the way you and your little family live your lives. There is nothing a mother wants more, than to have her children be happy, and the Gospel is the TRUE way to eternal happiness.